Clicky

  • Login
  • Register
  • Submit Your Content
  • Contact Us
Monday, February 16, 2026
World Tribune
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food
Submit
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food
No Result
View All Result
World Tribune
No Result
View All Result

Attacker who killed US troops in Syria was a recent recruit to security forces

December 15, 2025
in Business
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Attacker who killed US troops in Syria was a recent recruit to security forces
0
SHARES
ShareShareShareShareShare

Attacker who killed US troops in Syria was a recent recruit to security forces

A man who carried out an attack in Syria that killed three U.S. citizens had joined Syria’s internal security forces as a base security guard two months earlier and was recently reassigned amid suspicions that he might be affiliated with the Islamic State group, a Syrian official told The Associated Press Sunday.

READ ALSO

Blackstone CEO is turning his $48 billion fortune into a huge philanthropic foundation for AI

Rampant AI demand for memory is fueling a growing chip crisis

The attack Saturday in the Syrian desert near the historic city of Palmyra killed two U.S. service members and one American civilian and wounded three others. It also wounded three members of the Syrian security forces who clashed with the gunman, interior ministry spokesperson Nour al-Din al-Baba said.

Al-Baba said that Syria’s new authorities had faced shortages in security personnel and had to recruit rapidly after the unexpected success of a rebel offensive last year that intended to capture the northern city of Aleppo but ended up overthrowing the government of former President Bashar Assad.

“We were shocked that in 11 days we took all of Syria and that put a huge responsibility in front of us from the security and administration sides,” he said.

The attacker was among 5,000 members who recently joined a new division in the internal security forces formed in the desert region known as the Badiya, one of the places where remnants of the Islamic State extremist group have remained active.

Attacker had raised suspicions

Al-Baba said the internal security forces’ leadership had recently become suspicious that there was an infiltrator leaking information to IS and began evaluating all members in the Badiya area.

The probe raised suspicions last week about the man who later carried out the attack, but officials decided to continue monitoring him for a few days to try to determine if he was an active member of IS and to identify the network he was communicating with if so, al-Baba said. He did not name the attacker.

At the same time, as a “precautionary measure,” he said, the man was reassigned to guard equipment at the base at a location where he would be farther from the leadership and from any patrols by U.S.-led coalition forces.

On Saturday, the man stormed a meeting between U.S. and Syrian security officials who were having lunch together and opened fire after clashing with Syrian guards, al-Baba said. The attacker was shot and killed at the scene.

Al-Baba acknowledged that the incident was “a major security breach” but said that in the year since Assad’s fall “there have been many more successes than failures” by security forces.

In the wake of the shooting, he said, the Syrian army and internal security forces “launched wide-ranging sweeps of the Badiya region” and broke up a number of alleged IS cells. The interior ministry said in a statement later that five suspects were arrested in the city of Palmyra.

A delicate partnership

The incident comes at a delicate time as the U.S. military is expanding its cooperation with Syrian security forces.

The U.S. has had forces on the ground in Syria for over a decade, with a stated mission of fighting IS, with about 900 troops present there today.

Before Assad’s ouster, Washington had no diplomatic relations with Damascus and the U.S. military did not work directly with the Syrian army. Its main partner at the time was the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in the country’s northeast.

That has changed over the past year. Ties have warmed between the administrations of U.S. President Donald Trump and Syrian interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa, the former leader of an Islamist insurgent group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham that used to be listed by Washington as a terrorist organization.

In November, al-Sharaa became the first Syrian president to visit Washington since the country’s independence in 1946. During his visit, Syria announced its entry into the global coalition against the Islamic State, joining 89 other countries that have committed to combating the group.

U.S. officials have vowed retaliation against IS for the attack but have not publicly commented on the fact that the shooter was a member of the Syrian security forces.

Critics of the new Syrian authorities have pointed to Saturday’s attack as evidence that the security forces are deeply infiltrated by IS and are an unreliable partner.

Mouaz Moustafa, executive director of the Syrian Emergency Task Force, an advocacy group that seeks to build closer relations between Washington and Damascus, said that is unfair.

Despite both having Islamist roots, HTS and IS were enemies and often clashed over the past decade.

Among former members of HTS and allied groups, Moustafa, said, “It’s a fact that even those who carry the most fundamentalist of beliefs, the most conservative within the fighters, have a vehement hatred of ISIS.”

“The coalition between the United States and Syria is the most important partnership in the global fight against ISIS because only Syria has the expertise and experience to deal with this,” he said.

Later Sunday, Syria’s state-run news agency SANA reported that four members of the internal security forces were killed and a fifth was wounded after gunmen opened fire on them in the city of Maarat al-Numan in Idlib province.

It was not immediately clear who the gunmen were or whether the attack was linked to the Saturday’s shooting.

Credit: Source link

ShareTweetSendSharePin
Previous Post

Sixteen people killed in Bondi Beach Hanukkah terror attack

Next Post

A ‘new era’ in the housing market is about to begin as affordability finally improves

Related Posts

Blackstone CEO is turning his  billion fortune into a huge philanthropic foundation for AI
Business

Blackstone CEO is turning his $48 billion fortune into a huge philanthropic foundation for AI

February 16, 2026
Rampant AI demand for memory is fueling a growing chip crisis
Business

Rampant AI demand for memory is fueling a growing chip crisis

February 16, 2026
OpenAI hires OpenClaw AI agent developer Peter Steinberg
Business

OpenAI hires OpenClaw AI agent developer Peter Steinberg

February 16, 2026
Business

Meet the American spies who helped mammograms save more lives

February 15, 2026
Business

Newsom pleads with U.S. allies in Europe to see Trump as temporary

February 15, 2026
Business

China expanding aid for Russia’s war, Western officials say

February 15, 2026
Next Post
A ‘new era’ in the housing market is about to begin as affordability finally improves

A 'new era' in the housing market is about to begin as affordability finally improves

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What's New Here!

Get up to 00 matched in FanCash for Seahawks vs. Patriots kicker props

Get up to $1000 matched in FanCash for Seahawks vs. Patriots kicker props

February 8, 2026
US debt spiral could start in coming years when interest rate on borrowing tops GDP growth

US debt spiral could start in coming years when interest rate on borrowing tops GDP growth

February 14, 2026
Oddsmaker reveals best case scenario for sportsbook ahead of Super Bowl 2026

Oddsmaker reveals best case scenario for sportsbook ahead of Super Bowl 2026

February 1, 2026
Giants need John Harbaugh to follow the Tom Coughlin blueprint

Giants need John Harbaugh to follow the Tom Coughlin blueprint

February 2, 2026
Dodgers hope World Series keep coming despite impending lockout

Dodgers hope World Series keep coming despite impending lockout

January 29, 2026
Up to 87 percent off ProtonVPN, Surfshark, ExpressVPN, NordVPN and more

Up to 87 percent off ProtonVPN, Surfshark, ExpressVPN, NordVPN and more

February 4, 2026
Good Luck, Have Fun, Don’t Die rails against AI in style

Good Luck, Have Fun, Don’t Die rails against AI in style

February 13, 2026

About

World Tribune is an online news portal that shares the latest news on world, business, health, tech, sports, and related topics.

Follow us

Recent Posts

  • How to watch USA-Sweden Olympic women’s hockey semifinals for free
  • Blackstone CEO is turning his $48 billion fortune into a huge philanthropic foundation for AI
  • Some Europeans welcome Rubio’s warm words, others remain cautious
  • Former Washington star Tre’ Johnson dies ‘suddenly and unexpectedly’ on family trip age 54

Newslatter

Loading
  • Submit Your Content
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • DMCA

© 2024 World Tribune - All Rights Reserved!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food

© 2024 World Tribune - All Rights Reserved!

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In