Clicky

  • Login
  • Register
  • Submit Your Content
  • Contact Us
Thursday, February 5, 2026
World Tribune
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food
Submit
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food
No Result
View All Result
World Tribune
No Result
View All Result

Team Canada skeleton coach Joe Cecchini speaks out after American Katie Uhlaender manipulation claim

January 31, 2026
in Sports
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Team Canada skeleton coach Joe Cecchini speaks out after American Katie Uhlaender manipulation claim
0
SHARES
ShareShareShareShareShare

Team Canada skeleton coach Joe Cecchini speaks out after American Katie Uhlaender manipulation claim

Canadian national team skeleton coach Joe Cecchini has spoken out about the sudden national controversy surrounding his team’s decision to withdraw athletes from an Olympic qualifier, costing American Katie Uhlaender a chance to make the Milan Cortina Winter Games. Uhlaender has responded to his claims. 

Cecchini told CBC News “there’s nothing wrong” with his team’s decision to withdraw four athletes from the North America Cup earlier this month, which reduced the total amount of points the event could award. 

The International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) determined this week that the decision was “intentional and directed to reducing the points available,” making it mathematically impossible for Uhlaender to qualify for Milan Cortina. But no penalties or score revisions were made by the IBSF despite the findings.

“This is all within the rules. There’s nothing wrong with those things. And people can be strategic in the races that they participate. And she was doing that, and other nations were doing that, because you want to put your best foot forward,” Cecchini said. “This is a system flaw, if anything. But we were within the rules.”

Cecchini also took aim directly at Uhlaender, saying she isn’t a “top-tier athlete.” 

“I don’t really wanna speak negatively about Katie, but Katie was not on the World Cup team. She wasn’t a top-tier athlete in that program anymore. She was at the end of her career. I would personally would rather race against Katie. She’s not as competitive as the other athletes,” he said. “It’s probably really unfair to say and not really where I want to go with this but that’s where we are with that.”

American Katie Uhlaender competes at the Beijing Olympics on Feb. 12, 2022. REUTERS
Team Canada coach Joe Cecchini told CBC News “there’s nothing wrong” with his team’s decision to withdraw four athletes from the North America Cup earlier this month. BobCANSkel/X

Uhlander, who competed in the previous five Winter Olympics, fired back at the coach for his comments. 

“If I were Canada, I would be concerned in how this coach is representing the Olympic values for his country,” Uhlaender told Fox News Digital. “He hurt a whole field of athletes, all with dreams, and this sends the message that they don’t matter unless they are number one. All athletes matter, and we all deserve to compete fairly, with integrity, and respect. He did not respect anyone in that field.

“This is not about my resume or how good the athletes were in the race. This is about the fact that he intentionally manipulated the competition to hurt myself and 13 other countries because he felt it necessary to eliminate all possibility. That is against the spirit of sport and not what the Olympic movement represents.”

Uhlaender won two world-championship gold medals in 2012. While she has never won an Olympic medal, she has made the final in all five appearances.

Katie Uhlaender after a run during the IBSF World Championships in Lake Placid, NY, on March 7, 2025. REUTERS
Katie Uhlaender speaks out after Canada was found to have manipulated the competition. Fox News

Meanwhile, Cecchini, as an athlete, was originally a member of the Canadian skeleton team. He narrowly missed out on Olympic qualification in 2014. He later switched to the less-competitive Team Italy, and clinched qualification for that country’s Olympic team for the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Games. He finished 27th in men’s skeleton in Pyeongchang for Italy. 

Now, as a coach, Cecchini finds himself at the center of a global controversy ahead of Milan Cortina after his team’s decision earlier this month. 

So far, 15 other nations have signaled their support for Uhlaender’s bid to be granted an Olympic spot in response to Canada’s decision.

Katie Uhlaender at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. REUTERS

Bobsleigh Canada Skeleton (BCS) originally said the decision to withdraw the athletes was made “after careful evaluation of the program’s needs and in consultation with the IBSF” and “careful consideration of athlete health, safety, and long-term development.”

However, the IBSF has found evidence that Canada made a conscious decision to withdraw athletes to manipulate the potential points at stake. 

“Although Canada subsequently attributed its decision to order four athletes not to slide in Official Training to concerns about the athletes involved, substantial evidence supports Ms. Uhlaender’s contention that the move was a deliberate effort by Canada to reduce the points available at the final Lake Placid NAC so as to protect its own Olympic quotas,” the IBSF’s verdict said.

Cecchini added that the situation has been “horrible” for him.

“On me personally, this has been horrible. I never expected a decision like this within the ruleset at a development circuit to cause such a scenario,” he told The CBC. 

“I feel really bad for the athletes in trying to understand why people are so potentially angry. There’s a voice from an athlete who’s been in multiple Olympics and is carrying a certain clout. And it’s been really hard, and it has challenged myself, my staff.”

Credit: Source link

READ ALSO

Artemi Panarin was everything the Rangers ever hoped he could be

Mavericks ship Anthony Davis to Wizards in trade deadline bombshell

ShareTweetSendSharePin
Previous Post

A’s ink young star Jacob Wilson to seven-year, $70 million contract extension

Next Post

Claudia Sahm: ‘I don’t have a good feeling’ about labor, Fed, at present

Related Posts

Artemi Panarin was everything the Rangers ever hoped he could be
Sports

Artemi Panarin was everything the Rangers ever hoped he could be

February 5, 2026
Mavericks ship Anthony Davis to Wizards in trade deadline bombshell
Sports

Mavericks ship Anthony Davis to Wizards in trade deadline bombshell

February 4, 2026
The Jets have a lot of holes. Here’s what they need to address first
Sports

The Jets have a lot of holes. Here’s what they need to address first

February 4, 2026
Bryce James to redshirt freshman season at top-ranked Arizona
Sports

Bryce James to redshirt freshman season at top-ranked Arizona

February 4, 2026
UCLA basketball beats Rutgers 98-66 in Big Ten basketball
Sports

UCLA basketball beats Rutgers 98-66 in Big Ten basketball

February 4, 2026
Seahawks’ Jaxon Smith-Njigba makes bold Ohio State claim
Sports

Seahawks’ Jaxon Smith-Njigba makes bold Ohio State claim

February 4, 2026
Next Post
Claudia Sahm: ‘I don’t have a good feeling’ about labor, Fed, at present

Claudia Sahm: 'I don't have a good feeling' about labor, Fed, at present

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What's New Here!

Apple’s new AirTag still doesn’t have a keyring hole

Apple’s new AirTag still doesn’t have a keyring hole

January 26, 2026
‘Today’ show host Savannah Guthrie’s 84-year-old mother is missing, authorities suspect crime

‘Today’ show host Savannah Guthrie’s 84-year-old mother is missing, authorities suspect crime

February 3, 2026
Two ‘foremost teams’ emerge in Anthony Davis trade sweepstakes

Two ‘foremost teams’ emerge in Anthony Davis trade sweepstakes

January 15, 2026
Why Your Digital Roadmap Is Really a Change Management Problem

Why Your Digital Roadmap Is Really a Change Management Problem

January 16, 2026
Spanish Authorities Struggle to Identify Victims of Train Crash

Spanish Authorities Struggle to Identify Victims of Train Crash

January 20, 2026
The latest 45W Anker Nano charger with smart display is  off right now

The latest 45W Anker Nano charger with smart display is $10 off right now

January 30, 2026
56% of companies getting ‘nothing’ out of AI because they’ve forgotten the basics, PwC chairman says

56% of companies getting ‘nothing’ out of AI because they’ve forgotten the basics, PwC chairman says

January 19, 2026

About

World Tribune is an online news portal that shares the latest news on world, business, health, tech, sports, and related topics.

Follow us

Recent Posts

  • Alphabet (GOOGL) Q4 2025 earnings
  • Artemi Panarin was everything the Rangers ever hoped he could be
  • CPG Strategies to Win the Shelf in 2026
  • Over a million people are losing power during a freezing snowstorm while data centers nearby guzzle electricity

Newslatter

Loading
  • Submit Your Content
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • DMCA

© 2024 World Tribune - All Rights Reserved!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food

© 2024 World Tribune - All Rights Reserved!

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In