Clicky

  • Login
  • Register
  • Submit Your Content
  • Contact Us
Monday, February 16, 2026
World Tribune
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food
Submit
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food
No Result
View All Result
World Tribune
No Result
View All Result

The Afghan national suspected of shooting National Guard members blocks from the White House previously worked with the CIA

November 27, 2025
in Business
Reading Time: 5 mins read
A A
0
SHARES
ShareShareShareShareShare

WASHINGTON (AP) — An Afghan national has been accused of shooting two West Virginia National Guard members just blocks from the White House in a brazen act of violence at a time when the presence of troops in the nation’s capital and other cities around the country has become a political flashpoint. And on Thursday, CIA Director John Ratcliffe said the shooting suspect worked with the CIA and U.S. government in Afghanistan before coming to the U.S.

READ ALSO

Amazon’s Ring decides maybe partnering with a police surveillance firm is a bad idea after wide revulsion at Super Bowl ad

The skies for American Airlines are clearer than you think

FBI Director Kash Patel and Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser said the guard members were hospitalized in critical condition after Wednesday afternoon’s shooting. West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey had walked back his statement Wednesday announcing the troops had died, saying he received “conflicting reports” about their condition.

Attorney General Pam Bondi on Thursday morning declined to comment on the condition of the National Guard members who were shot, but said during an appearance on Fox News that they had “come through surgery.”

Bondi added that charges against the suspect would be based on the guard members’ “prognosis,” adding that “If something happens, I will tell you right now. I will tell you early. We will do everything in our power to seek the death penalty against that monster.”

Prior to his 2021 arrival in the United States, the suspect worked with the U.S. government, including the CIA, “as a member of a partner force in Kandahar,” John Ratcliffe, the spy agency’s director, said in a statement. He did not specify what work Lakamal did, but said the relationship “ended shortly following the chaotic evacuation” of U.S. servicemembers from Afghanistan.

The rare shooting of National Guard members on American soil, on the day before Thanksgiving, comes amid court fights and a broader public policy debate about the Trump administration’s use of the military to combat what officials cast as an out-of-control crime problem.

The Trump administration quickly ordered 500 more National Guard members to Washington.

The suspect who was in custody also was shot and had wounds that were not believed to be life-threatening, according to a law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

The 29-year-old suspect, an Afghan national, entered the U.S. in 2021 through Operation Allies Welcome, a Biden administration program that evacuated and resettled tens of thousands of Afghans after the U.S. withdrawal from the country, officials said.

The initiative brought roughly 76,000 people to the U.S., many of whom had worked alongside U.S. troops and diplomats as interpreters and translators. It has since faced intense scrutiny from Trump and his allies, congressional Republicans and some government watchdogs over gaps in the vetting process and the speed of admissions, even as advocates say it offered a lifeline to people at risk of Taliban reprisals.

The suspect, who has been living in Washington state, has been identified by law enforcement officials as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, but authorities were still working to fully confirm his background, two law enforcement officials and a person familiar with the matter said. The people could not discuss details of an ongoing investigation and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

Lakamal arrived in Bellingham, Washington, about 79 miles (127 kilometers) north of Seattle, with his wife and five children, said his former landlord, Kristina Widman.

Wednesday night, in a video message released on social media, President Donald Trump called for the reinvestigation of all Afghan refugees who entered under the Biden administration.

“If they can’t love our country, we don’t want them,” he said, adding that the shooting was “a crime against our entire nation.”

Jeffery Carroll, an executive assistant D.C. police chief, said investigators had no information on a motive. He said the assailant “came around the corner” and immediately started firing at the troops, citing video reviewed by investigators.

“This was a targeted shooting,” Mayor Bowser said.

Troops held down the shooter

The shooting happened roughly two blocks northwest of the White House near a metro station. Hearing gunfire, other troops in the area ran over and held down the gunman after he was shot, Carroll said.

“It appears to be a lone gunman that raised a firearm and ambushed these members of the National Guard,” Carroll said, adding that it was not clear whether one of the guard members or a law enforcement officer shot the suspect.

“At this point, we have no other suspects,” Carroll said at a news conference.

At least one of the guard members exchanged gunfire with the shooter, said another law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Social media video shared in the immediate aftermath showed first responders performing CPR on one of the troops and treating the other on a sidewalk covered in broken glass.

Witnesses saw people fleeing

Michael Ryan was just across the street when he heard loud bangs and started running with others. When he later came back, he told AP he saw a person pinned to the ground as people shouted “stay down,” and, nearby, National Guard troops hugged each other.

“It’s just a terrible situation to see,” Ryan said.

Emma McDonald, who exited a metro station just after the shots were fired, said she and a friend sought safety with others in a cafe. McDonald told AP that minutes later, she saw first responders rolling a stretcher carrying a National Guard member whose head was covered in blood.

Police tape cordoned off the scene, and fire and police vehicle lights flashed and helicopter blades thudded overhead. Agents from the Secret Service and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were there, and National Guard troops stood sentry nearby. At least one helicopter landed on the National Mall.

“I think it’s a somber reminder that soldiers, whether they’re active duty, reserve or National Guard, our soldiers are the sword and the shield of the United States of America,” Vice President JD Vance said in Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where he delivered a Thanksgiving message to troops.

Gen. Steven Nordhaus, chief of the National Guard Bureau, scrapped plans to spend the holiday with troops at Guantanamo Bay in order to travel to D.C. and be with guard members there instead.

Army Secretary Dan Driscoll said on social media that he visited the wounded National Guard members in the hospital and that his “heart breaks for them.”

Troops deployed to DC under emergency order

Trump issued an emergency order in August that federalized the local police force and sent in National Guard troops from eight states and the District of Columbia. The order expired a month later, but the troops remained.

Nearly 2,200 troops currently are assigned to the joint task force operating in the city, according to the government’s latest update.

Last week, a federal judge ordered an end to the deployment, but she also put her order on hold for 21 days to allow the administration time to either remove the troops or appeal.

The guard members have patrolled neighborhoods, train stations and other locations, participated in highway checkpoints and been assigned to pick up trash and guard sports events.

More than 300 West Virginia National Guard members were deployed in August. About 160 of them volunteered last week to extend their deployment until the end of the year, while the others returned home just over a week ago.

Credit: Source link

ShareTweetSendSharePin
Previous Post

Get either the Essential or Premium plan for only $3 per month for two months

Next Post

Trump orders new immigration curbs as FBI probes guard shooting

Related Posts

Amazon’s Ring decides maybe partnering with a police surveillance firm is a bad idea after wide revulsion at Super Bowl ad
Business

Amazon’s Ring decides maybe partnering with a police surveillance firm is a bad idea after wide revulsion at Super Bowl ad

February 16, 2026
The skies for American Airlines are clearer than you think
Business

The skies for American Airlines are clearer than you think

February 16, 2026
Blackstone CEO is turning his  billion fortune into a huge philanthropic foundation for AI
Business

Blackstone CEO is turning his $48 billion fortune into a huge philanthropic foundation for AI

February 16, 2026
Rampant AI demand for memory is fueling a growing chip crisis
Business

Rampant AI demand for memory is fueling a growing chip crisis

February 16, 2026
OpenAI hires OpenClaw AI agent developer Peter Steinberg
Business

OpenAI hires OpenClaw AI agent developer Peter Steinberg

February 16, 2026
Business

Meet the American spies who helped mammograms save more lives

February 15, 2026
Next Post
Trump orders new immigration curbs as FBI probes guard shooting

Trump orders new immigration curbs as FBI probes guard shooting

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What's New Here!

End of Dave Portnoy’s Super Bowl ban comes with one NFL caveat

End of Dave Portnoy’s Super Bowl ban comes with one NFL caveat

January 27, 2026
I’m the Napster CEO and I agree with Pinterest: the Napster phase of AI needs to end

I’m the Napster CEO and I agree with Pinterest: the Napster phase of AI needs to end

January 22, 2026
Sam Darnold serenaded with ‘Ham for Sam’ chants at Super Bowl Opening Night

Sam Darnold serenaded with ‘Ham for Sam’ chants at Super Bowl Opening Night

February 3, 2026
Silicon Valley on Minnesota shooting: ‘only a matter of time before they show up in force here’

Silicon Valley on Minnesota shooting: ‘only a matter of time before they show up in force here’

January 25, 2026
Carlos Lagrange, Ben Hess will join Yankees at spring training

Carlos Lagrange, Ben Hess will join Yankees at spring training

February 6, 2026
As Trump helps Gen Z on student debt, watchdog calls it an ‘incoherent political giveaway’

As Trump helps Gen Z on student debt, watchdog calls it an ‘incoherent political giveaway’

January 17, 2026
Two screens really are better than one

Two screens really are better than one

February 10, 2026

About

World Tribune is an online news portal that shares the latest news on world, business, health, tech, sports, and related topics.

Follow us

Recent Posts

  • Jake Paul’s fiancée Jutta Leerdam trains with Jordan Stolz after false rumor
  • Amazon’s Ring decides maybe partnering with a police surveillance firm is a bad idea after wide revulsion at Super Bowl ad
  • France probes Nestle, Danine over baby formula toxins: What to know
  • Collin Morikawa’s wife brought to tears after Pebble Beach Pro-am win

Newslatter

Loading
  • Submit Your Content
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • DMCA

© 2024 World Tribune - All Rights Reserved!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Food

© 2024 World Tribune - All Rights Reserved!

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In